Saturday, November 18, 2006

Book Review: The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2003 Edited by Dave Eggers

nonrequiredreading


Finalement! An excellent book. This really is worth reading. There’s great stuff in it. Weird stuff. Stuff you don’t get to read anywhere and stuff that everyone else raises an eyebrow to and says, “I don’t get it.” It isn’t all short fiction. There are personal essays, journalistic pieces, and even a comic. Is it any surprise that David Sedaris has a piece in here? Unfortunately, I had already read his “Rooster at the Hitchin’ Post”—it’s in one of his collections.

My dad calls a bacon and egg breakfast a “Rib Sticker” because it’s a meal that sticks with you. Perhaps I can call this collection a “Brain Sticker” because it’s going to be with me for a while.

My favorites: “The Littlest Hitler” by Ryan Boudinot; “Visiting Hours” by Judy Budnitz (who grew up in the ATL--chick-a-chick-a-wha); “A Primer for the Punctuation of Heart Disease” by Jonathan Safran Foer; and “How to Write Suspense” by James Pinkerton.

Enjoy!
T. Budnik

P.S. For all of my nonexistent fellow classmate-bloggers, this is not the article I am writing for the magazine project despite the fact that it is the same topic.

2 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Woah do you find it weird that Boudinot sounds like the French version of Budnik, and Budnitz sounds like the Yiddish version?

Either it's really late, or I am a genius.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK! You two don't you ever go to bed? I think that you are a genius and that it was very LATE!! But then I am both of yours' Mom! Hahahahahahahaha!!!! And we know why T picked this book to review!!! All you have to do is look at the books T recommends and reads. Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home