Thursday, October 12, 2006

Writing Every Day

When I took creative writing classes at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, my professors always made us go to the readings that were part of the Visiting Writing Series. I honestly think they made us go because if we didn't, no one would. The readings were generally horrible. I learned a lot of writers don't know how to read. There was one writer that will always stick out in my mind, though.

Pam Houston, author of "Sight Hound" and "Cowboys Are My Weakness," said something very interesting. She recognized that a lot of writers will tell you to write every day, to get into a routine, but she doesn't. She said that she only writes when she had something to write about.

Sing it, sister! Ever since my Language Arts class in the seventh grade when we were forced to write in a spiral notebook for ten minutes at the beginning of each class, I've very much disliked the obligation to write every day.

So, surfing amazon.com, I found her book "Cowboys Are My Weakness" for about a penny on the marketplace and decided to read it. It wasn't good at all. Go figure.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give this a try. I'm up for anything new and Pam Houston's "write when you need to write" philosophy is seemingly wrong.

Here's to daily bloggin'!
T-Bud

2 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Kendra_B said...

Ack. Yeah. Nobody likes to be told "eat your vegetables" or "practice your piano," no matter how much you might love vegetables, or piano. But, I'll tell you this: getting into the habit of at least putting down one random thought (well-composed, of course) a day will save your ever-loving soul when you find it being sucked dry by construction companies and demanding makers of bottled sugar water. Truly, in this line of work, everything is related, and everything - even the every day stuff - becomes material, sooner or later.

As for the daily writing, it may not work for you, or for everyone, but for me at least, the more words I write, the easier they come when I really really need them. Thanks for agreeing to try.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger shaman said...

Do you like Michelle Shock's "Anchored down in Anchorage?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home