Friday, October 20, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-check it out! No. 02

Happy Friday!

This week I give you my Internet references: the sites I go to regularly for information.

First up: Google.

Der. It's great for answering questions, spell checking (because if you misspell something, it'll suggest another spelling), and for seeing what something looks like if you've never seen one. It's simple, but kind of difficult to read through the sites it pulls up. Something tells me I'm like an old person who's gotten used to doing one thing and won't give it up for something better. I don't know if there's anything better than Google, though.

Second: Merriam-Webster OnLine.

I use this dictionary for the times I need to know the definition or spelling of a specific word. It's not good for browsing, though. Nothing beats a good ol' fashioned dictionary for that. It's pretty easy to use and doesn't provide any fancy information. That's exactly what I want when I look up a word via the Internet. Now, I will admit when I was on the UAF server and had access to the Oxford English Dictionary online, it was pretty sweet, but the OED provides a little more information than anyone could possibly need as a human being.

Third: WebMD.

I'm pretty sure this one saved me a bunch of money. The knee that started popping as soon as I moved here flared up last weekend. To the point where I couldn't bend down to put books on a bottom shelf without discomfort. I don't have health insurance, so I made a visit to WebMd. There I found a couple of things that described my angry knee and the solution was ibuprofen. A $4 bottle of Motrin and 2-3 tablets later, and my knee is happy once again. It's an easy site to use and a money saver.

Enjoy!
T-Bud

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ask.com would have you believe that they are better than Google. But it begs the question, do monkeys in pants make we want to use one search engine more than another?

You're the advertising acolyte, what do you think?

(I also watch too much TV I'm sure)

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell everyone to use "GOOGLE". It is the easiest for them to remember. Walking from the front desk to the public computers is a loooonnng walk and they will forget anything else that you tell them. Like how to log on and such. "GOOGLE" is brand recognition. So you hope that someday after your are gone someone will find your coins and think that you were an engineer? I thought that you just said that you were not going to leave them behind? You have me confused now.....But that is not hard to do. Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home