Friday, October 13, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-check it out! No. 01

Let me introduce to you this weekly series. I'll be posting three links to websites each week. Most of you know this. I write this for those folks who are googling "t-bud." I'm confident that there's a huge population doing this.

I'll start with some sites I visit regularly.

The Anchorage Daily News http://www.adn.com/

Oh sweet sassy molassy! I never really lived in Anchorage and the Daily News wasn't always the only newspaper in Anchorage. Once the Daily News and Times merged, this was the only option and the only good newspaper in the state.

I read it to see if there's anything interesting happening in the Last Frontier. It's through this website that I learn about UAF basketball players getting into legal trouble, see wedding announcements of people with whom I went to school, and see what's shakin' in the weather department.

As far as usuability goes, it's pretty good. I always know where I am. It's kind of ugly, but I can deal with ugly. It reads like a newspaper--which is perhaps too involving for the internet, but if you want news, you have to deal with it.

I'm pretty sure the people visiting this site are the people too cheap to buy a subscription, or people like me who are peeping from afar.

The competition is other Alaska newspaper sites. They pretty much compare to the adn.com in the same way they compare in the physical world.

Next up:

Slate Magazine http://www.slate.com/

I've been reading this magazine off and on since my sister sent me the link to an article about Digger that funky toenail fungus Lamisil mascot. It's good for everything from political commentary to personal advice from "Prudence."

It's easy to use. There's a lot of content on the page, which gives a cluttered feeling.

The audience is for intellectual types--faux or not. There are a lot of links to Slate stories on NPR, so those who listen to NPR may be reading this magazine.

Competition? Other national newsy sites. The difference probably comes in depth of reporting and commentary.


Finalement:

Pandora http://www.pandora.com/

This is my fad site. I just started listening to music on this site. I haven't gotten tired of it yet, but I'm half expecting to.

It's super-easy to use. There may be too much motion, but it's not inhibiting.

Audience? Anyone who enjoys listening to music. It's a good way to find new artists and the ads are minimal. I don't subscribe and the only ads I have to deal with are on the page--they're not audio, so they don't bother me.

I skimmed an article on Slate magazine that discussed sites like this. I know that there are others out there, but I'll have to find that article and see what they have to say about it.

Enjoy!
T-Bud

2 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Bal des Ardents said...

T-
I really liked Slate! I'm going to bookmark it and check it out more, and as for Digger, well, if he would just discontinue the computer-generated lifting-up-of-toenails, I think he would be much more popular.
I'll have to come back and check out Pandora another time, apparently they are having technical difficulties.
Thanks for these!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Kendra_B said...

Pandora is a fantastic site. And it's been steadily improving over the last several months. (well, except for when it's down...or gets to the 'end' of the musical family tree - which it does quite frequently for me.) Great site picks. And...you know what? You remind me of this girl... (actually, sounds like great fodder for a collection of short stories. "All the people you think I am" by Theresa Budnik.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home